Stand up, light up tree card for Studio Light

This piece is made using just one embossing folder (with cut out die insert) from the Autumn collection by StudioLight.
I've inked the inside of the embossing folder using Brilliance ink in Lightning Black, and run this through with a piece torn from a watercolour sketch pad. The folder then embossed in a letterpress style, with the die insert cutting out the leaves.
I placed this on top of my torn cardboard packaging, pierced the leaves to give me an idea of placement, and cut out sections with a craft knife. 
Next, I mounted the tree piece on a thin card frame on top of the torn cardboard. I mounted the whole lot on some foamcore board (I cut an aperture in the back) then placed my LED lights to show through). I then placed the left-over piece of foamcore back over the aperture, taping down with brown gummed paper tape (which is incredibly strong).
I made a holster for the battery pack by folding card around it to shape it, then glued this to the back of the foamcore board. This holds the battery securely - you can take the pack out to change the batteries, but turn it on and off just by moving the switch on the top. Finally, I used card to make a stand at the back.
I love how the lights show through - not too bright, but you can definitely see the effect.

The twig spray is actually from a package of grapes - allowed to dry out, then liberally sponged withe gesso.

Finally, I added little flat-back pearls, a strip of hessian, and some string at the bottom as a finishing touch. And some little white stamens here and there.

I hope you like it!

Comments