Live in the Moment - Tablet cover upcyle project

I've been playing around and upcyling this tablet cover. It fits the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet, the iPad Mini and  the Kindle Fire HD (7in) and is now in my Etsy shop. SOLD

I've adapted the idea of painting on fabric, collaging onto this tablet cover, from an online class I took: Toni Burt - Wrapped In Vintage. Toni actually sews her cover, whereas I've used an existing hardcover faux leather one.

The front:
It's a really nice quality of faux leather, so well worth messing around with. The inner core is stiff board, so I knew it would take plenty of embellishments.


The fastening:
The outer edges of the tablet and the tabbed loop are all collaged with vintage lace. The collaged elements are rice paper which is really strong (has cotton fibers embedded in it) and goes transparent when you add glue underneath and on top. I've also used some vintage scrapbook images, tickets, bubutterflies etc.

The base is muslin (thin cotton fabric) stuck directly to the faux leather using fabric glue. I then added vintage dictionary paper and vintage sheet music, then added everything else on top!

The back:
The roses are acrylic, where I've added dots of pink and white, then swirled the colours together with the end of a paintbrush. The words are rub-ons. I've added a little glitter, then used a waterproof spray over everything so the cover is wipeable. I also drew back into the iamges to add more detail.

Front and back with tablet opened out flat:

The inside:

Elasticated corners hold the tablet in place:
The little butterflies are collaged undernath the elastic, so nothing interferes with the tablet itself.

This was a fun project - something a bit more girly than a lot of the tablet covers I see around (some are just too techie) and just that little bit different... Find it here in my Etsy shop. SOLD

Hope you like it!

Comments