SPELLING BEE - handmade vintage journal over tapes


Here's my other handmade vintage journal - which I'm calling Spelling Bee. This is because it was originally a Visitor's Book, with the bees already embossed on the cover, and with lined pages. I'm intending this to be my practice lettering book, hence the really bad pun, lol.


I've covered the spine edges of the covers with Broderie Anglais lace, to neaten up where I've cut out the page block, and also to give a nice finish. I felt it went well with the style. The lettering is from a vintage children's book (one of my other vintage journals) and the little girl is from a vintage French grammar book circa 1930. I've drawn back into the illustration and 'grounded' her with a little shadow added with acrylic paint.


I used Tim Holtz's Grungeboard, cut into strips, for my tapes (painted over with copper Lumiere acrylic) and stitched the journal with butcher's twine.


I've added a mad assortment of papers: some of the original lined paper, plus some from several children's books, some vintage sheet music etc etc. I think an interesting mix makes for texture and interest, and the paper often inspires me! I've also added page folds and pockets.

I had a great class at Blade Rubber, and everyone who made their journals are now doing a journalling course with me. We've just finished doing backgrounds, and the next one is on how to draw faces and figures and image transfers. I adore making a journal and then working in it - makes it even more unique.

Comments