GET AHEAD, GET A HAT - Journal page

If you want to get ahead, get a hat!
Another journal page I finished earlier this week - it was so hot, I couldn't bear to sit at the computer, so I had a nice time playing around with paints and things. It's actually not that often I have some playtime, so I made the most of it.

This journal I made is upcyled and recycled: vintage book covers, a mad mix of papers of all shapes and sizes, including vintage children's stories, sheet music, art paper etc. Here, you can see the stitched satin ribbon layers hanging off the page to make the collar.
This one sort of made itself - I'd done a rough sketch demonstrating how to draw a face in one of my journal classes way back in May or June, and it was a real mess (green and black crayon). But as it was on the back of another (finished) page I didn't have the option of just ripping it out. So while I had the acrylics out, I started noodling around, and here you are!

Anyone who came to my journalling class should recognise this one - especially with that hat! Which, incidentally, now has a thick layer of Tim Holtz's Rock Candy crackle glaze to give that texture. The hair is Viva's Terra textured paint in Ayptian, applied heavily with a palette knife.

Paper dolls added with dimensional adhesive
The paper dolls are from a late, lamented Mary Englebreit magazine (I really miss those, what a shame she stopped doing them).

I've really enjoyed doing this one!

Comments