MY DELICIOUS COLOURICIOUS BOOK IS FINISHED!

Kiss Journal - all photos copyright Susie Jefferson- all rights reserved
I finally finished my book! And yes, I'm very pleased with it.

Copyright Susie Jefferson
Side view showing stitching
Poor Peter - I forced him up into the attic and refused to let him down till he handed me all my art stuff - so now we're surrounded by a sea of boxes and I'm as happy as a clam! I finished sewing the book Tuesday, but didn't have a chance to photograph it till today as yesterday (Wednesday) I taught a Japanese Stab-bound class at Gerrards Cross Summer School - more of that in another post. So I've been up against it for time.

But I digress... back to the book which is the subject of the post....


I cut it wider than needed, so that I could repeat the spine measurement for the fore edge and fold the excess back over to the front cover, then create some kind of fastening. This ended up as hinges - TWO  pieces of die cut Grungeboard - flexible and very tough. I punched holes in the ends so they could go over hitch fasteners (fasteners and Grungeboad are by Tim Holtz).

Closeup of stitching
Clopseup of hinges
Hinge detail
The hinges were postioned with a dab of glue, then fixed with eyelets. Then I wire-wrapped each piece and over-wrapped a second time with beads and brass danglies.

Inside
The fold-over edge looked rather plain, so I hole punched down the length and wire wrapped again, a basic whip stitch.

Detail showing pen holder
 The finishing touch was a spiral of the cover paper (I cut off about 1cm from the piece folding back over the cover before I did the wire wrap) which I glued down, then eyeletted top and bottom for strength.

Hope you like it!

If you want to make your own, here's the link for my tutorial on Etsy. If you want to know how I made the textured cover, read the post below. If you too would like your very own hand carved wood blocks, contact Colouricious - tell Jamie Malden or Holly I said Hi!

Comments