A BLOGGING DILETTANTE

I've decided I must be a dilettante -I seem to flit from subject to subject, as it catches my eye. Does this make me fickle? Disorganised? Confused?

Copright-free creative commons pix, source unknown

The reason the subject has come up is because someone sent me an email, asking me what my blog is about! 

Well, it started off with just the one - the one you are reading now.  Then I read a tutorial somewhere that suggested you had a practice blog - so I figured if one could do that, that I could actually have extra blogs and link them up to my main one, like extra pages - something like a website.

As I was new to blogging (and completely self-taught re all this computer stuff anyway ) I didn't realise at the time that I needed to take the blogs off my Profile as well as adjust in Settings, to keep them private. So the upshot was that I had people following the other blogs as well! Therefore, instead of the one nicely organised blog I had envisaged, I ended up with multiple blogs to cover the various subjects I'm interested in. (Much as I'd love to reorganise, I feel it's too late now (and would be totally rude) to reorganise everything at this stage, and delete a load of faithful followers).

However, back to the subject in hand... I tend to post about whatever comes to mind, being a bit of a magpie. Links I think people will enjoy; new tutorials, and sometimes the odd bit of art work. Perhaps I should be posting MORE artwork? I have to say I've strayed rather toward the digital stuff lately - I'm very much enjoying creating blog backgrounds, headers etc, and it all takes time... I'm learning Photoshop as fast as I can!

But does this make me a dilettante, and is it a bad thing to be? And does a blog have to have fixed subject matter anyway? To reform... or conform... that is the conundrum!

The Oxford Dictionary definition

dilettante

/dillitanti/
  • noun (pl. dilettanti /dillitanti/ or dilettantes) a person who dabbles in a subject for enjoyment but without serious study.
  — DERIVATIVES dilettantish adjective dilettantism noun.
  — ORIGIN Italian, ‘person loving the arts’.

Comments