THE BIG REDECORATION PROJECT

Somehow, the light really is different as we're heading towards Spring (can't be too soon for me): everything looks dingy and drab, and I immediately get the urge to redecorate.


Saturday, I zoomed off and bought paint rollers etc and made a start on the bathroom. Being a tiny room, it only took me Sunday afternoon to do it all! First, ceilings (the bath is in a kind of alcove, so a bit of ceiling in there and another bit in the main part) in brilliant white, then walls in Moonlight White soft sheen. This sounds more than it is as the bath is entirely tiled, which saved a lot of work.

My worst job: painting pipes. I hate painting pipes; given half a chance, there will be nothing but drips.

I also did the first coat on the door, skirtings and surrounds, and towel holders and little cupboard and shelves. In fact, as I used eggshell (brilliant white again) it's such a soft powder effect, it covers a multitude of sins, so it was the ONLY coat on the surrounds and skirtings. Yah boo that I had to do a second coat on the door, shelves and cupboard today.

I love white with white with white, the play of different shades and textures.

My biggest decorating tips:

Buy self-undercoating eggshell or gloss, then you don't have to sand.

Although, if the paint is in lousy condition or covered in nicotine or grease, it's worth washing down with sugar soap first, rinse well and allow to dry naturally THEN sand if you really need to.) As I'm just freshening up, I got away with it.

Paint rollers are your best friend:

When doing doors, use a roller so you don't get drippy paint or brush marks (or stray hairs).

I use a small roller especially for gloss and toss the sleeve away when finished (considering the cost, I'd spend more in white spirit trying to clean it).

Thin coats are better than thick, and give a much better finish (think nail varnish).

If you can, remove any door furniture or else paint round (cut in carefully) with a small brush (I use a 1 inch brush) then use the roller. I have tried masking tape in the past, which can work but Sod's Law says the paint will still get underneath somehow.

Ceilings are easy if you use a small roller.

I can't use a large roller anyway as they are just too heavy when full of paint, and my arm feels on fire (I have RSI). So a small roller is ideal and easily controlled. Cut in first with a small brush then switch to the roller. And as the tray is also small, it's easy to hold in one hand whilst painting with the other, so less reaching etc.

Stick to small rollers in restricted spaces.

Pipes and radiators are a nightmare to paint behind and around, so keep going with the small rollers - forget brushes except for cutting in where ceiling and walls meet, and to blend paint on the front of the pipes if it needs it.

Rollers are cleaner, faster and easier to manouvre - if you buy the smallest size. You can buy sleeves for emulsion and gloss - I buy several packs and then throw them away when they get nasty. In fact, I also throw the trays away when finished (they're so cheap and washing them out is miserable).

Pictures to follow shortly (when I find the lead for the camera).

Comments