RECYCLING OLD SKETCHES

The third brilliant YouTube video I found today, from Christy at GulfSpr1te

This one is very interesting to me, as it shows a complete journal spread (in 3 minutes!) showing a recycled sketch. Torn out of a sketch book, this is then turned into a complete journal spread (in 3 minutes) incorporating gel transfers as well.



As someone who has a pile of odd things doodled here and there (and that pile of huge life drawings still in a folder under the bed, as there's nowhere else to put them) this really has given me an idea of how to use them up.

 
One of my typical journal entries - planning my new website layout. (See why my scribbles need livening up?)

I have a lot of half-started sketchbooks, and my worst is the pile of journals (several where I tore out ALL the pages, meaning to re-bind them) which is around 8 inches high. Which I just didn't know what to do with. So here we are!

And - now I have the sewing machine out (having just done the kitchen curtains in yellow gingham - can we say YeeHah?) I may just sew some of the pages onto some decent paper.

This was when I was in my "Artists' Way" phase and journalled on just one side of the page (stream of thought, get it down on paper, write any old rubbish). My genius idea was then to turn the journals around and use the other side of the page - again, going in the same direction. So I have upside-down writing on one side, sketches, ideas, quotes etc on the other. All in non-waterproof gel pen. So you can just see the problem re glues and paint...

These videos have really given me some great ideas! Hope they inspire you as well.

Note to self: wonder if you could use one of those cheap web cams to do these little films?

Comments