THE LAST KNIT - A VIDEO & A CAUTIONARY TALE

A charming little video on what happens when our art obsessions run away with us!



This reminds me of last year when I knitted my scarf (the first thing I ever knitted since the age of 12 when I knitted a sweater for my Sindy doll - which took two solid weeks!). Far too long to reach the end of a row... so I used to crochet. However, I needed a scarf, so I made one with giant needles and fluffy yarn... found a couple of dropped stitches (I was on the last ball of wool, so nearly finished) and thought I'd unpick it.

HAH! Don't ever try to unpick fluffy stuff. I couldn't even SEE the loops (although you could have driven a bus through the holes the dropped stitches made).

Snow Day, Feb 2009 - wearing That Scarf
To cut a long story short (hysterical laughter) I threw a tantrum, threw in the towel, threw out the wool (which I kept unravelling, trying to find a spot where I could start knitting again - except the fibres were so kinked it looked horrible).

So I bought another 5 balls of wool and started all over again. Then, if you remember, it was a hot summer... so there was a 4-month hiatus before I finished the scarf. Anyhow, I didn't give up (which was amazing). I gritted my teeth and fought my way through every damned stitch and finally finished the beginning of December last year. Then we had SNOW - hooray! So my patience was rewarded.

And the moral of the story is... I'll stick to using knitting needles for piano hinge books and Japanese stab-bindings, thanks very much!

Comments