REPRISE - cake lace using modelling paste etc

I noticed there's a massive surge of interest in cake lace and moulds. I did a few comparisons on several different types, so here's the verdict on what to use and what NOT to use!

Closeup of the cake lace - I used structure paste here

As you can see from this finished piece (which I created while part of the Imagination Crafts DT), this cake lace is absolutely wonderful - flexible, dimensional, and really adds character to a piece.

The cake lace doesn't have a high profile as the moulds are quite shallow
You can definitely see the dimension
Here are all the experiments 

I tested products by Viva, Stamperia and Cadence (the structure paste was originally released under the Imagination Crafts label).

I've written the name of the product above each piece, with a critique of the results further down.


Closeups of each one






The Results











These released from the mould beautfully
See how beautifully flexible this is!

To apply, use a palette knife and add a thin layer. You can even see the mould through parts of the paste I applied - it still released nicely, and held together for all the pastes I tested, with the exception of Viva Kreativ-Creme and Viva Relief Papierpaste, which really aren't made for this type of application.

Viva Modellier Paste, Stamperia Creme Paste and Cadence Structure Paste were a total success! The lifted out of the moulds cleanly and with hardly any cleanup needed. I just use a piece of sellotape on the bits around the edges!

You can also use gel medium.

To completely clean the moulds, just use a little dishwashing liquid and warm water, then rinse in cool and allow to dry naturally, or pat dry with a towel.

Here are my two original posts about this: Stamperia and Viva and Structure Paste.

Comments