WE’RE ALL WHITE NOW

Copyright-free pic from Tack-o-Rama

It may be something in the water, or it may be because it's Spring... when the redecorating bug hits me, it hits hard!

We've decided to redecorate throughout (we HAVE to do the bedroom due to the condensation and damp - more of that in another post when I have some photos for you). Although it's only a one-bedroom flat, so it's no big deal, really.

Meantime, being broke as usual, it's a case of makedo and mend, repurpose, recycle - and some inspiration and brilliant ideas.

So, to paraphrase Mick Jagger:

I'm all 'white' now, in fact it's a gas!

Sarah at A Beach Cottage shows what to do with old suitcases, to recycle them into coffee tables etc.

Photo copyright A Beach Cottage

Go here to see a dresser/shelf unit makeover - another Sarah triumph!

Photo copyright A Beach Cottage

And here Sarah tells you exactly how to recover and repaint a sofa. It's a great step-by-step video and she also talks you through the hows, whys and wherefores. Well worth bookmarking for future use for any type of makeover.

Copyright Songbird

Maraianne at Songbird has a wonderful talent for staging vignettes, and as I just finished our black&white bathroom and now need to titivate and add nicknackery for the perfect finishing touches, you can see where I'm heading...

Copyright Songbird

And Marianne has her own interpretation on the white suitcase idea (above) by positioning hers on top of an unwanted coffee table, and treating them as one unit.

Only one thing holds me back, here - knowing me, there would be tons of essential stuff IN the suitcase, then a ton of stuff on TOP of the suitcase - which of course would all need clearing off the top surface for me to get into it. I'm famous for getting in my own way!

And of course the desired effect is to stage a little vignette - just a FEW well-chosen objects. Unfortunately, I'm a maximist and not a minimalist, no matter how hard I try!

Copyright The Lettered Cottage

And here's a great how-to with stepped photos on transforming a huge dark brown wood dining table to a distressed, shabby chic white wonder from Layla at The Lettered Cottage. This is about the only successful paint job for a large table that I've seen (I've seen a lot of failures in junk shops).

Copyright Susie Jefferson

Here's my original post on transforming an Ikea wardrobe and bedside tables. Nearly two years on, they still look as good, I'm very happy to say. The trick was to change the awful handles - these are white china and antiqued brass (£3.50 each, and that was on sale!) The handles cost as much as the two bedside tables.

Now it looks like I'm going to have to lose that wonderful (very expensive) wallpaper behind the bed due to the damp etc - so whilst I mourn it, it's onward and upward with the next brilliant idea!

Comments